Second announcement: June 26, 1997.
THE 40th SEMINAIRE LOTHARINGIEN DE COMBINATOIRE
(Bayreuth, Erlangen, Strasbourg)
will take place in
from Sunday, October 5, 1997 (evening) to Wednesday October 8, 1997 (afternoon).
Participants are expected to arrive for the dinner on Sunday and leave after lunch on Wednesday.
As it was said last year when the 38th Seminaire was organized at the same place, the location of Bellagio is magnificent, at the tip of the peninsula dividing the main two finger lakes forming the lake of Como. It is located at 30 km East from Lugano, 75 km North from Milano. Going down from Switzerland leave the San-Gottardo-Milano highway at Lugano (either exit), reach Menaggio and Cadenabbia and take the ferry boat for Bellagio. From the West reach the city of Como and ride either on the West Coast of the Lake to arrive at Cadenabbia or use the Eastern (narrow) road that goes from Milano through Erba. There are regular buses from the Como Railway Station to Bellagio (but not too late in the evening!). However it is wiser to make up a car pool and enjoy riding through the Italian Lake Region.
|A photo of Hotel Belvedere||A map of the lake region|
The hotel is equipped with a modern conference room with all the video techniques.
Theme of Seminaire:
Algebraic Combinatorics on words
Twelve lectures are scheduled and will be given by the authors of the twelve chapters of the forthcoming book on the same subject. A more detailed description includes:
1. Introduction by Jean Berstel and Dominique Perrin (words and substitutions, the space of infinite words, fixed points of substitutions, recurrence and minimal systems, Lyndon words, finite automata)
2. Recurrence by Dominique Perrin (symbolic systems, subshifts of finite type, sofic systems, local functions, entropy, zeta functions)
3. Sturmian Words by Jean Berstel (equivalent definitions, standard words, characteristic words, Sturmian morphisms)
4. Unavoidable Patterns by Julien Cassaigne (Unavoidable sets of words, Patterns on an arbitrary alphabet, Patterns on a fixed alphabet)
5. Bi-ideal Sequences by Aldo De Luca (Combinatorics of bi-ideal sequences, bi-ideal sequences and recurrence, extension of a theorem of Shirshov, applications)
6. Plactic Monoid by Alain Lascoux (Introduction, the plactic monoid, Greene's invariants, the cross-section theorem, conjugacy classes, shuffle of plactic classes, applications)
7. Word functions by Veronique Bruyere (Subsequential functions, characterizations, morphisms, a Schu"tzenberger theorem)
8. Numeration systems by Christiane Frougny (Classical representation of numbers, beta-expansions, representation with respect to a sequence of integers, complex bases)
9. Combinatorial algorithms on words by Maxime Crochemore (Periods, ordering the alphabets, squares, automota)
10. Periodicity by Antonio Restivo (Finite words, infinite words, biinfinite words, characterization of periodicity, applications)
11. Transformations on words by Dominique Foata (Contextual commutation, straightening, biwords, sorting, rearrangements, q-series)
12. Statistics on words and permutations by Jacques Désarménien (Words and permutations, enumeration depending on the up-down sequence, standard normalization of words, enumeration depending on the cycle type)
There will be no other contribution. However each participant may submit a paper for publication in our electronic journal on this occasion.
We have already reserved a block of 25 rooms in Hotel Belvedere that can be used on a single or double occupancy basis. The flat rates are the following:
on a double occupancy basis: from 126.000 Lit. to 136.000 Lit. (board and lodging) per person, per day.
on a single occupancy basis: from 147.000 Lit to 168.000 Lit. (board and lodging) per person, per day.
We have received the registrations of (Aug. 13, 1997):
Strehl, Koenig, Meyn (Erlangen), Cassaigne (Marseille), Dulucq, Viennot, Melançon (Bordeaux), Pirillo (Firenze), Paule (Linz), Désarménien, Lascoux, Berstel, Perrin, Picon (Marne-la-Vallée), Crapo, Frougny, Mantaci, Sakarovitch (Paris), Restivo (Palermo), de Luca (Roma), Bruyère (Mons), Foata, Han, Jouanolou, Zeng (Strasbourg), Bonetti, Brini (Bologna), Seebold (Amiens), Garsia (San Diego), Formisano (Napoli), Diekert (Stuttgart).
Get registered as soon as possible, using the form below.