- The Wissenschaftskolleg "Differential Equations: Analysis
and Applications in Science and Engineering" (in the following: WK) is
based at the Vienna University of Technology (TU) and at the University
of Vienna (UNI).
The purpose of the WK is to provide a doctoral program in the field
of derivation, analysis, and numerical simulation of mathematical
models involving differential equations.
- The scientists in charge (tragende Wissenschafter(innen)) of
the WK are A. Kluwick (Institute for Fluid Mechanics and Heat Transfer, TU);
P.A. Markowich, N.J. Mauser (Institute for Mathematics, UNI);
W. Schachermayer (Institute for Mathematical Methods in Economics, TU);
C. Schmeiser, P. Szmolyan (Institute Analysis and Scientific Computing, TU).
- Regular members: Regular members are the scientists in
charge and the student members. The procedure for recruitment and
acceptance of student members is the following:
Free positions are advertised internationally.
Applications for membership have to be sent to the speaker of
the WK and have to include a curriculum vitae and proof of an Austrian
diploma in mathematics (or engineering, physics) or the equivalent from
a foreign country.
Optionally, a list of publications, recommendation letters, and a
statement of scientific interests can be included.
Interviews: The executive board decides if candidates have
to be interviewed.
Acceptance: The general assembly decides about the acceptance
of student members and, at the same time, about their assignment to
a research area, according to the following principles:
Loss of membership: Student membership is limited to 3 years
at most. It can be lost earlier by a decision of the
general assembly, if a student member does not fulfil the duties
described in 4.(d), or by graduation.
- Selection criteria are the expected scientific quality, the
presentation abilities, the teamwork abilities, special knowledge
in one of the research areas of the WK.
- Student members should be equidistributed among the research
- Associate members are scientists working in fields related
to the WK or doctoral students participating in the WK-program
without being employed by the WK. The executive board decides
about gain and loss of associate membership.
- Rights and duties of WK members
- Rights of the scientists in charge: The scientists in
charge are members of the general assembly. They are eligible for being
speaker, deputy speaker, teaching coordinator, and member of the
executive board. They are eligible to use the infrastructure of the WK
and to receive travel reimbursements from the WK-budget.
- Duties of the scientists in charge: The scientists in
charge have to participate in the weekly WK-Seminar and in the
Student-Seminar. They have to teach one advanced course every 2 years
and, if necessary, they have to teach basic courses (this refers to
section 1.4 of the WK-proposal). They are responsible for advising
student members assigned to their research area, such that graduation
within 3 years is possible. They have to act as co-advisors for other
student members and to evaluate their scientific progress. They have
to contribute to the organization of the
WK-Seminar and to progress reports of the WK.
- Rights of the student members: Student members are employed
according to the rules of the Austrian Science Fund and paid from
the budget of the WK. They are eligible to use the infrastructure of
the WK and to receive travel reimbursements from the WK-budget.
They have the right to attend all WK-courses and workshops and to
receive, on a regular basis, advice in their thesis work.
- Duties of the student members: The student members work
full time at the WK. They have to participate in the weekly WK-Seminar,
in the Student-Seminar, and in WK-summer schools. They have to report
about their scientific progress once per semester in the
Student-Seminar. They have to contribute to the organization of the
Student-Seminar and to progress reports of the WK.
- Rights of the associate members: Associate members receive
the WK-newsletter. They are invited to participate in WK related
events and to post their scientific papers in the preprint archive of
- The general assembly is the governing body of the WK. Its
members are the scientists in charge. It is chaired by the speaker
of the WK. She/He calls at least 2 regular meetings per year.
Extraordinary meetings can be requested by at least two members of
the general assembly. The rights and duties of the general assembly
- Election of the speaker, the deputy speaker, the third member
of the executive board, and the teaching coordinator (by a simple
majority) for a 3 year term.
- Impeachment of the speaker, the deputy speaker, the third member
of the executive board, or the teaching coordinator (by a two
- Acceptance and dismissal of student members according to 3.(a).
- Decision about the subject of summer schools and about the
invitation of long term visitors (2 weeks and more).
- Decision about general rules for the invitation of short term
visitors (less than 2 weeks) and for the use of travel money.
- Decision about the lists of advanced courses with general
content and specialized courses.
- The executive board consists of the speaker, the deputy
speaker and a third member elected by the general assembly. It is
chaired by the speaker who calls meetings whenever necessary. The
rights and duties of the executive board are:
- Preparation of the decision about the acceptance of student
members by the general assembly.
- Decision about the invitation of short term visitors and
about the use of travel money.
- The speaker is elected by the general assembly for a 3
year term. Her/His rights and duties are:
- Representation of the WK, in particular towards the Austrian
- Advertisement of free positions for student members.
- Organization of the WK-Seminar, of summer schools and
- Maintainance of the WK-home page.
- Information of WK-members about WK-relevant facts and events.
- The deputy speaker is elected by the general assembly for a 3
year term. Her/His rights and duties are:
- The rights and duties of the speaker whenever she/he is not
- Membership in the executive board.
- The teaching coordinator is elected by the general
assembly for a 3 year term. Her/His rights and duties are:
- Assistance of the student members in teaching matters and in
case of complaints.
- Coordination of the course program of the WK.